Amidst several social media and video streaming platforms, YouTube has carved a league of its own as one of the oldest and leading video-sharing platforms.
YouTube is also popularly hailed as the most visited website in the world after its parent organization, Google.
Jawed Karim- Who is he?
Jawed Karim is an American software engineer, internet entrepreneur, and philanthropist of German and Bangladeshi origin who is best known as one of YouTube’s three co-founders.
Even YouTube, a social media juggernaut used routinely by billions of people all over the world to publish video material on practically every possible subject, was once simply an idea — an idea in the mind of a man named Jawed Karim.
Despite keeping a low profile since selling YouTube to Google’s parent company Alphabet in October 2006, he has remained quite busy, investing in and working to create various internet start-ups around the world to nurture and export the spirit of creative dynamism that exists in Silicon Valley.
Jawed Karim Biography
- Full Name: Karim, Jawed
- Birth Date: October 28, 1979
- Net Worth: $140 million to $300 million
- Awards: The GITA Award (2008), the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Young Alumni Achievement Award
- Children: None
- Contributions: Co-founder of YouTube
- Birthplace: Merseburg, Germany
- Expertise: Software engineering
- Age: 42
- Nationality: American/German
- Parents: Naimul Karim, Christine Karim
Jawed Karim’s co-fermentation is one of his most significant career accomplishments. Jawed Karim is a German-American internet entrepreneur, technologist, and co-founder of YouTube, the popular American video-sharing website that is now a division of Google.
Karim worked for PayPal early on and co-founded YouTube with Chad Hurley and Steve Chen.
He was also the first individual to upload a video named ‘Me at the Zoo’ on YouTube.
Karim created several essential components of PayPal, including its real-time anti-internet fraud technology.
Karim became an informal adviser to YouTube once it was introduced. After YouTube was launched, Karim became an informal consultant to the site rather than an employee, and he focused on furthering his studies while holding a significantly smaller portion of the firm than the other co-founders.
Karim received 137,443 shares of Google stock after YouTube was bought by Google. His other ventures include co-founding Youniversity Ventures alongside Kevin Hartz and Keith Rabois, as well as investing in Airbnb, Inc.
Jawed Karim – How did he start YouTube?
He met Steve Chen and Chad Hurley, the other two creators of YouTube, at PayPal. The lack of Super Bowl XXXVIII video footage, as well as the Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami, inspired Jawed to create a video-sharing website.
The contentious Super Bowl half-time segment with Janet Jackson was a rage at the time, and everyone wanted sight of it.
Hurley and Chen, on the other hand, have cited the website Hot or Not, a rating site that allows users to score the beauty of photographs uploaded voluntarily by users, as the inspiration for launching YouTube.
The founders also indicated that they had an online video dating service in mind when they created the site.
If you’re wondering if YouTube was the first video-sharing website on the internet, the answer is no, it wasn’t. This is because Vimeo was started in November 2004, before YouTube, but because it was a side project of the developers of the Los Angeles-based internet humour firm College Humor at the time, Vimeo did not grow as quickly.
Jawed Karim’s Net Worth
Jawed Karim has an estimated net worth of $190 million.
He owns 137,443 shares of YouTube stock, which are worth more than $140 million if sold today by Google.
His shares, along with other revenue from his investment company, add up to a net worth of $190 million as of 2021.
Due to his level of anonymity, there is no clear information regarding his private life, money, or car collection. His wife and children are unknown to the general public.
Jawed Karim is a resident of Palo Alto, California, in the United States. However, images of where he lives, let alone his residence, are not publicly available because he does not share them.
Jawed Karim Facts
- Jawed Karim is a lifelong student who is devoted to his profession. Despite many challenges and phobias, he worked hard from a young age and is today known around the world as the first YouTuber and co-founder of the video-sharing website.
- Apart from English, he is also fluent in German and Bengali, which are the national languages of Germany and Bangladesh, respectively, from which he descended through his mother and father.
- Jawed Karim started Karim Immigration, a Canadian immigration agency that provides advice and representation to customers worldwide.
- He seized the opportunity to work for PayPal, which proved to be a watershed moment in his life.
- Even after starting YouTube, he maintained his education, earning a master’s degree from Stanford University. During his studies, he worked as an advisor for YouTube.
- Furthermore, Karim had a substantial role in numerous critical YouTube decisions, including the decision to partner with firms such as Google and NBC, which can surely be regarded as some of the most significant reasons for YouTube’s current success.